Notifications
Clear all

Using MODX with Behringer FCB1010

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Jim
Topic starter

My questions are around using the Behringer FCB1010 with MODX. I've read several posts around this topic, but a couple things are still eluding me. Apologies up front if my terminology is a little off - I'm old school and the world of MIDI is still fairly daunting. Specifically, I'd like to understand a couple of items:

1. Can MODX receive more than one CC message at the same time from the 1010? Right now I've got the 1010 set to change scenes using cc92, and have assigned the Super Knob to one of the expression pedals via cc95. However, if I want to use one of the floor switches on the 1010 to turn portamento on/off using cc65, I have to change the Scene cc from 92 to 65, and thereby losing my ability to change scenes with the 1010. At this point, it seems like I can only transmit one cc and have to choose which is most important.

[list=2]

2. Is there is a way to achieve using the 1010 to transmit mulitple cc numbers, so I could have scene change AND portamento switch? If so, could you kindly tell me how to set up the MODX to do this? Or if I can't use multiple cc numbers, is there another method or route I could use to get the same results?

Any insights here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and cheers.

Posted : 20/01/2022 8:57 pm
Bad Mister

Can MODX receive more than one CC message at the same time from the 1010? Right now I've got the 1010 set to change scenes using cc92, and have assigned the Super Knob to one of the expression pedals via cc95. However, if I want to use one of the floor switches on the 1010 to turn portamento on/off using cc65, I have to change the Scene cc from 92 to 65, and thereby losing my ability to change scenes with the 1010. At this point, it seems like I can only transmit one cc and have to choose which is most important.

I’m sorry but I don’t know anything about the Behringer 1010, but on your MODX you can review what assignable CC messages will be generated by the physical controllers - these also reflect what is set to be received by the current Performance.

From the [PERFORMANCE (HOME)] screen:
Press [EDIT] > touch “Control” > “Control Number”
What appears is what CC# is generated by each controller.

Whatever parameters you assign to these controllers within the Performance, will respond when the MODX receives these CC numbers IN via MIDI. Those in black in the lower right corner are global.

To address the global settings, tap the box “MIDI Settings”

Default for “Super Knob CC” = 95; if the CC# is turned “Off” the Super Knob will generate SYSEX
Default for “Scene CC” = 92; If the CC# is turned “Off” the Scene buttons will generate SYSEX
The “FS ASSIGN” refers to a Yamaha momentary pedal (FC4/FC5 type) plugged directly into the Foot Switch jack on the MODX back panel.

You do not have to assign anything in the MODX to send cc65 (Portamento switch) in order for the MODX to respond to this message — that is a standard MIDI fixed function cc, much like cc64 (sustain) and cc66 (sostenuto) the Portamento Switch is received IN via MIDI if your external device is capable of sending it from an appropriate switch.

And much like these other ‘switches’ they will activate the appropriate response in the tone generator provided the receiving Part has been setup to respond to it. In other words, if the internal Part has been programmed for Portamento, you can turn it On/Off with a CC65 message.

Posted : 21/01/2022 12:49 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

MODX can receive multiple CC numbers for sure. The problem you're having doesn't seem related to MODX configuration more than it seems to be in the question if buttons on the FCB1010 can transmit on to multiple CC numbers or not. It looks like it supports a few CC numbers - but I'm no expert on the FCB1010 programing.

Posted : 21/01/2022 1:27 am
 Jim
Topic starter

Bad Mister and Jason:

Thanks so much for your responses. You've really cleared up a lot of my conclusion! To make sure I'm understanding though, I've got just a few clarifying questions.

1. Do I need to turn Scene Control CC to "off" so MODX can receive the multiple CC numbers, or does it not matter what the Scene CC is set to?

2. In Bad Mister's screen shot of the MIDI I/O, it shows MIDI IN/OUT as set to USB. The FCB1010 connects to MODX via 5-pin MIDI only. Wouldn't it be set to MIDI versus USB?

3. If I decide to try using SYSEX, is there any Yamaha documentation to shows MIDI to SYSEX conversion? Doesn't sound like I'll need it, but it'd be nice to know just the same.

Again, many thanks, you guys are awesome.

Posted : 21/01/2022 2:38 am
Bad Mister

1. Do I need to turn Scene Control CC to "off" so MODX can receive the multiple CC numbers, or does it not matter what the Scene CC is set to?

You can choose to use either a CC# or you can set it to Off, that is your choice. This has to do with what the MODX generates when you turn the Super Knob or you press a [SCENE] button. The only thing it has to do with your external MIDI device is determine what you would need to SEND from that external device to influence these controls.
If you set the “Super Knob CC” = 95 — Turning the Super Knob will generate CC95; Sending IN CC95 via MIDI will move the Super Knob.
If you set the “Super Knob CC” = Off — Turning the Super Knob will generate Sysex; You would need to send the exact Sysex message IN via MIDI.
Obviously, using a CC# like the default, CC95, is easier for an external device to generate and is far, far easier to edit (should that become necessary)
In your situation you would set your external device to send CC95 on MIDI Channel 1

2. In Bad Mister's screen shot of the MIDI I/O, it shows MIDI IN/OUT as set to USB. The FCB1010 connects to MODX via 5-pin MIDI only. Wouldn't it be set to MIDI versus USB?

Naturally, you would set the MIDI I/O = MIDI if your device is using a 5-pin MIDI connection. be sure to set it to communicate on MIDI Channel 1.

3. If I decide to try using SYSEX, is there any Yamaha documentation to shows MIDI to SYSEX conversion? Doesn't sound like I'll need it, but it'd be nice to know just the same.

Download the MODX Data List pdf.
Link — Official MODX Download page

The MODX can literally receive scores and scores of CC messages simultaneously. Each Part (16) can receive all CC# messages. However when you select a specific CC# for “Super Knob CC” and “Scene CC”, globally, those messages are generated and received on MIDI Channel 1.

Posted : 21/01/2022 3:18 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't complicate things by using SysEx if you can set the foot switches to use two different CC#s. Again, this is primarily a gap in knowing the proper settings for the FCB1010 rather than in setup for the MODX.

Others have more experience with the FCB and may be able to provide more guidance.

Posted : 21/01/2022 3:56 am
 Jim
Topic starter

Again, many thanks, you guys have been tremendously helpful! Cheers.

Posted : 21/01/2022 4:19 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us