5 Users
0 Likes
Member Admin
Topic starter

Check out the cool groove of Floyd Steinberg and the QY100 here.here

Posted : 16/05/2022 9:43 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Bill, pretty much every notice under "LEARN MORE ABOUT YAMAHA SYNTHS" (on the upper-right of the forum) will receive a forum post placed by Yamaha for discussion. Usually there's a lag between the article being posted and indexed in this "LEARN MORE ..." section. And, in this case, the lag was long enough (or passion high enough) for someone other than Yamaha to post a thread about the article.

That doesn't keep the wheels from turning, however slowly, by normal process. If someone starts an "unofficial" thread -- there's still going to be an "official" thread started. The problem, if there is one, is the lag. It would've been "better" for Yamaha to beat "c" to the punch and then "c" would have added the same comments on this thread -- and you wouldn't feel like a wound had been re-opened (if that's how you feel, to some extent).

So just look at this as the normal process of placing a forum message pointer to the article (already previously posted).

I would say a bulk of what is presented IS current and not looking at vintage gear. You can take a look at the "Learn" section where other articles are archived and see if the balance is too far to looking at vintage gear or not.

Posted : 16/05/2022 10:52 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

That's cool - fair to voice. I just wanted to be sure you were aware of where to find the mix of current vs. non-current so you could best evaluate.

Posted : 17/05/2022 3:01 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=116793]I said it all in the first line of my reply. I just posted c's thread link to add further weight that some of us would prefer CURRENT videos - not something dealing with 20 year old technology.

Now - if the video showed how you can do that video stuff more easily/quickly using the new tech that would have been useful.

The only 'wound' I see is Yamaha shooting themselves in the foot.[/quotePost]
There are tons of current videos on their YouTube channels, and more are coming.

The linked video is made by someone on YouTube, is not like Yamaha is wasting any resources because of this video.
It's downright bizarre that there are people who would find the posting of a YouTube link to be a reason to get angry.

Linking to nice, interesting videos about milestone products from their history is something that some of us appreciate.

Posted : 17/05/2022 10:33 am
Member Admin

TL;DR
I'm not seeing this wealth of content

Try looking for exploitations and explorations of the effects on the Montage and MODX. The Motion Sequence, LFO controls of effects and stacking of effects on a massively multitimbral synth are pretty special... yet there's crickets...

Or search for analysis and exploration of the envelopes that shape AWM2 in conjunction with effects, something that (again) combined with the animation options is pretty mind blowingly potent, and uniquely limited, so ripe for insights to overcome its foibles to make it shine.

Or look for something about Motion Sequences made organically (not paid for or affiliated with Yamaha or a music store) and that explores their potential.

Generally speaking, there is near to nothing in terms of an organic community of videos and/or other materials providing insight into these devices, despite their combination of enormous complexity and capability and the befuddling nature of the UI/UX being ideal for those that grok it to gain kudos by providing insight and empowerment advice and wisdoms.

It seems that continued usage of these devices does not engender the users with the kind of love and passion that many other products do, and have.

Why is that?

My guess would be the user experience combined with the way the features actually interact. It's too frustrating, too staid and too limiting to bring (seemingly) any of the purchasers and users of the products to that heightened state of constructivism that we see with other multi-timbral instruments.

But what's really glaringly odd is that there's zero organic enthusiasm for FM-X, despite there having been decades of enthusiasm for all manner of Yamaha FM in the past, and the Montage having lived its entirety through the synthwave eruption.

Search for FM-X sound design. Or for tips, tricks and features of it.

Nada from organic users. Zip.

And much of what I've suggested looking for isn't meaningfully, modernly applicably provided by Yamaha or store affiliates, either.

There were lockdowns, a time to really dive into the difficulties of getting the most from these things, and that produced nothing, too.

Posted : 17/05/2022 11:02 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'd be delighted to see your videos. Honestly.

What you describe - I won't debate if it's true or not - is a gap and gaps are opportunities to fill. The first ones to fill gaps usually reap the benefits. Trailblazers.

Posted : 17/05/2022 5:48 pm
Member Admin

Catherine - do you have budgets?

Could you, for example, set up a knowledgeable inhouse editor with all of Bad Mister's posts and threads throughout this forum, and turn it into a carefully curated, crafted, indexed, illustrated, searchable and well sequenced PDF book?

Specifically for MODX/Montage, I'm thinking. Since he went full on, at times!

This would be extremely useful flight reading, iPad browsing, reference and enlightenment.

And a good way to start honouring the contributions of Bad Mister, which are legion!

Posted : 17/05/2022 5:48 pm
Member Admin

[quotePost id=116810]I'd be delighted to see your videos. Honestly.

What you describe - I won't debate if it's true or not - is a gap and gaps are opportunities to fill. The first ones to fill gaps usually reap the benefits. Trailblazers.
[/quotePost]

I think it's true, Dragos has (long ago) hinted that Yamaha asked him and others about sound design usage improvements they'd like to see, and his comment above tends to indicate he knows about what's coming down the pipe in terms of videos. So he's likely been involved in both making some sounds for them, and a video or three. Along the lines of the two Pete's from Germany, probably.

Posted : 17/05/2022 5:57 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=116812]I think it's true, Dragos has (long ago) hinted that Yamaha asked him and others about sound design usage improvements they'd like to see, and his comment above tends to indicate he knows about what's coming down the pipe in terms of videos.
[/quotePost]
Keep believing that, I like it.

Posted : 17/05/2022 8:50 pm
Member Admin

[quotePost id=116813][quotePost id=116812]I think it's true, Dragos has (long ago) hinted that Yamaha asked him and others about sound design usage improvements they'd like to see, and his comment above tends to indicate he knows about what's coming down the pipe in terms of videos.
[/quotePost]
Keep believing that, I like it.[/quotePost]

Maybe it was Darryl?

Posted : 18/05/2022 2:14 am
Bassam
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=116814][quotePost id=116813][quotePost id=116812]I think it's true, Dragos has (long ago) hinted that Yamaha asked him and others about sound design usage improvements they'd like to see, and his comment above tends to indicate he knows about what's coming down the pipe in terms of videos.
[/quotePost]
Keep believing that, I like it.[/quotePost]

Maybe it was Darryl?
[/quotePost]

It must be Darryl. That's what he mentioned once to me in "Reasonable Enhancements-Features that may be possible in Future Updates".

BUT: That survey you guys must be talking about was posted on IdeaScale, just found it today in a comment by Ben Israel from Yamaha, see below and feel free to participate (if you don't feel it is too late, I did anyway) (if you want to give me credits, put VL first hahaha)

Ben Israel(@bisrael)kudos icon. +30/Nov/18 7:58 PM (Last edited by Ben Israel 16/Mar/22 6:07 PM)
Hello From Yamaha,

NOTE: I sent the following content in an email broadcast as well, but as this thread is specifically related to the survey question, we decided to also post here.

We would like to know more about the relative importance and usefulness of different tone generator technologies. This feedback will go directly into our product planning. The survey has eight questions and will take about 1-2 minutes to complete. We appreciate your time and input.

https://yamahaus.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4I4clfnNyjUpNQh

Sincerely,

Ben Israel

R&D Planning Manager

Yamaha Corporation of America

Posted : 18/05/2022 3:30 am
Member Admin

[quotePost id=116807][quotePost id=116793]I said it all in the first line of my reply. I just posted c's thread link to add further weight that some of us would prefer CURRENT videos - not something dealing with 20 year old technology.

Now - if the video showed how you can do that video stuff more easily/quickly using the new tech that would have been useful.

The only 'wound' I see is Yamaha shooting themselves in the foot.[/quotePost]
There are tons of current videos on their YouTube channels, and more are coming.

The linked video is made by someone on YouTube, is not like Yamaha is wasting any resources because of this video.
It's downright bizarre that there are people who would find the posting of a YouTube link to be a reason to get angry.
[/quotePost]

Not sure how you confused a mildly worded, gently humorous expression of satirically postured bemusement for anger.

Bill's a coder from the days of Assembly as The Abstract. His wit is cool, by default.

Posted : 18/05/2022 8:06 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=116819][quotePost id=116807]Not sure how you confused a mildly worded, gently humorous expression of satirically postured bemusement for anger.

Bill's a coder from the days of Assembly as The Abstract. His wit is cool, by default.[/quotePost]
You have a mirror for your daily dose of narcissistic nonsense.
Don't make a fool of yourself again trying to look intelligent on the internet.

Posted : 18/05/2022 9:18 am
Member Admin

And by the way who is Floyd Steinberg?

Posted : 18/05/2022 10:57 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

https://www.floydsteinberg.com/

Posted : 18/05/2022 5:28 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us