Notifications
Clear all

RS7000 - Recording onto multiple midi tracks simultaneously

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi everyone!

I'm new here. I've recently acquired a vintage RS7000 and am learning it. May I ask of your wisdom: is it possible to record live onto multiple RS7k tracks at once?

Scenario:
- I have prepared sequences of various tracks on another sequencer, I now want to transfer the sequences on to the RS7k

- If I play back from the external sequencer into the RS7k, the RS7k plays back the multi-timbral sequences beautifully. As soon as I start recording on the RS7k, it can only record one RS7k track at a time, and it will record all midi channels that are playing from the external sequencer.

- So the only way I can transfer the sequences from external sequence to RS7k is to solo each track on the external sequence and record them to RS7k one by one

Is there a more efficient way of doing this?

Posted : 10/08/2020 11:24 am
Bad Mister

Is there a more efficient way of doing this?

Thankfully, yes, there is! Thanks for the question...

Place the RS7000 in SONG Mode
Select a blank Song location.
When you wish to do a real-time transfer - use Song Record by setting “Rec Track“ = Multi
MULTI ...............Simultaneous recording to all 16 sequence tracks. Multi-channel data from an external MIDI device can be recorded at once. MIDI channels 1 through 16 are assigned to the correspondingly numbered tracks.

You should make your external device the MASTER MIDI Clock and set the RS7000 to follow by setting MIDI SYNC = MIDI.
Set MIDI CONTROL = IN so that the RS will start/stop when you start and stop your external sequencer.

Anticipated follow-up question....
How can I transfer my external sequencer to RS7000’s PATTERN Mode?
Once you record or Load a .mid in the RS7000’s Song Mode, you can use the SONG JOB called “Split Song to Pattern”. This job allows you divide the linear Song into Pattern Sections by setting a start and end measure range — and a target Pattern and Section A-P.

In fact, if you have a .mid file, you can simply Load the file into an RS7000 Song as a File Type = SMF (Standard MIDI File)

Posted : 10/08/2020 2:54 pm
Topic starter

Wow! Thanks so much @Bad Mister! This is exactly the solution I'm looking. You are the wise sage here!

Posted : 11/08/2020 12:19 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us