Notifications
Clear all

Request: PLG150-VL Visual Editor MacOS version

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Michele
Topic starter

I've just bought a PLG150-AN from eBay (to be honest I'm still waiting for it...). The seller is Japanese and didn't provide neither a manual nor the original CD-ROM that accompained the PLG board.

Is there anyone here on this forum that can help?

Thanks in advance,
Regards
ws

Posted : 09/10/2017 12:34 pm
Bad Mister

So which is it? A PLG150-VL as mentioned in the title, or a PLG150-AN as mentioned in the body of the text... and into which MSPS (Modular Synthesis Plugin System) Product are you installing it, or are you using it in another product. No need to hunt for information you will not be able to use. Both the products you mention were able to be used in a variety of products during their ten years in the marketplace. Narrowing it down a bit might be helpful.

Posted : 09/10/2017 2:23 pm
Michele
Topic starter

Thanks for your prompt reply Bad Mister. The board for whom I'm looking Visual Editor is PLG150-VL. Sorry to having caused this confusion...
To make a long story short, in the past I had 2 PLG150-AN installed in a S90ES, then I moved them into a Motif ES rack and recently I bought a second hand CS6R where I've already installed a (third) PLG150-AN and I'm going to install a PLG150-VL.
Owning also an old Apple Macintosh G4 running both MacOS9 and OSX 10.4.11 with OMS and AN Expert Editor, I was wondering if Visual Editor for PLG150-VL was still reachable.

Posted : 09/10/2017 4:43 pm
Bad Mister

Wow... once something scrolls off the books at a company Yamaha’s size... it’s mostly gone.

But the good news is ther VL fan base is fairly large and still very active (at least a quick google will inform) I recommend you do some research into the Editors out there from dedicated VL users. If they work for the VL70-m they will typically work for the PLG150-VL... most of the old editors have been reverse designed and updated by dedicated enthusiasts. That’s you best bet currently.

I have not checked into any particular third party editors, but they probably are able to run on current computer OS’ as well... so you can avoid incompatibility because of system changes over these many years.

https://vl70m-wizard.blogspot.be

Found the above... let us know

Posted : 09/10/2017 5:17 pm
Michele
Topic starter

Bad Mister, thanks for your reply.
In my endeavours I already found that page, but unfortunately the price of the editor itself is very high and makes the overall expense quite high. It makes no sense buying the 50€ basic version of the editor because it has no form of help or bug corrections. On the other hand it's too expensive buying the 150€ complete version because with the same money I could almost buy another PLG board.
Thus, I think I will limit myself to the offset editing, instead of digging into physical modeling.

Posted : 10/10/2017 2:17 pm
Bad Mister

50€ ... I don’t travel much ... how many quarts of milk is that?

You missed the free support by just about ten years, (PLG Boards had a run from the late 1990s through 2007)... it could not have been easy for these third party programmers (who I’m sure are just fans of VL) to have put together their Editor... you’re right I don’t know anything about bugs or bug fixes or even if they support it. But as far as finding the VL editor in the Yamaha archives... as a good friend of mine is fond of saying... “the chances are slim to none, and Slim left town.”

I’ll keep my eye out.

Posted : 10/10/2017 2:26 pm
Michele
Topic starter

By the way, I keep using an old Apple Macintosh G4 just to edit PLG150-AN with AN Expert Editor. It runs like a charm, still today.
It might have been the perfect picture, if I had had also Visual Editor for the VL board. Perfection is not of this world afterall.
I have too much irons in the fire lately... CS6R, another PLG150-AN, PLG150-VL and, last but not least, Montage 7...

Posted : 10/10/2017 2:36 pm
Bad Mister

At least the MONTAGE is apart of this century! 🙂

Posted : 10/10/2017 5:14 pm
Michele
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

At least the MONTAGE is apart of this century! 🙂

😀 It's a really mind blowing synthesizer with almost endless possibilities.

Posted : 11/10/2017 8:25 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us