Notifications
Clear all

FL1024M - Format Flash Memory Module

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Christina
Topic starter

Hi there. So i bought the FL1024M memory module; i installed it and then powered-on my MOXF8: I get this message about the unrecognized flash memory module needing to be formatted - which seems a normal thing initially, but i seem to get this message every time recycle power.

Could someone please enlighten me? Does data have to be added to it in order for the formatting to occur? Is there something else i need to do?

Thanks
🙂

Posted : 13/10/2014 5:51 am
Bad Mister

Welcome to Yamaha Synth.

Not sure what you are missing. The FL1024M can be used in several different Yamaha products, so it is necessary to format the board initially before you use it in your MOXF8. This initial formatting takes only a few seconds. (However, when your FLASH BOARD contains data, it can take quite a bit more time).

To format your board (you never say that you actually did this):

Press [FILE]
Press [F6] FLASH
Press [SF1] FORMAT
Press [ENTER] to execute

Now your board is formatted for use in any MOXF... the size should report 1022MB (2MB is used for housekeeping).

Hope that helps.

Posted : 13/10/2014 9:10 am
Christina
Topic starter

Excellent! Thank you! I had contacted the store where i purchased the module and asked...they weren't sure. And of course after the fact i find exactly those instructions in the MoXF Operator's Manual.
(i expected instructions to come with the flash module - C'est la Vie)

I'm brand-spanking new to the world of synthesizers and keyboards - it's a huge learning curve for me...so much more manageable with help.
🙂

Posted : 13/10/2014 1:14 pm
Bad Mister

No problem! That's why we're here. The Yamaha FL1024M (and the FL512M) can be used in other products... so the specific instructions for using it is included in the host product documentation. Please to do not hesitate to ask when you have a question!.

Posted : 13/10/2014 2:16 pm

Hello,

I have the same problem as above with the FL512M flash card on my MOXF8. The card formats successfully but shows unformatted again when the keyboard is turned off and back on. I've replaced the FL512M card and still get the same result. Is there something I'm missing? I have followed the published format procedure.

Posted : 16/01/2015 3:44 pm
Bad Mister

What does the screen report exactly. The instrument has specific error messages that are recalled for specific conditions.

How do you know the Board formats successfully? What does the screen read?
When you turn the keyboard back on - what message do you get that says the board is unformatted?

Posted : 17/01/2015 2:41 am
 Ian

I have the same issue too. I have a FL1024M flash card and a MOXF8. It was initially formatted when I received it. I have since loaded the "Inspiration in a flash" from the Yamaha website. It has been working perfectly for months. Unforunately, on power up I am getting the message "unrecognized flash memory module needing to be formatted". I can still access the keyboard, but sounds where the waveforms are from the flash card like "XS700 Piano" no longer give a sound when you press the keys. Other sounds that come with the MOXF work ok.

Please help!

Posted : 29/09/2015 6:27 pm
Bad Mister

You cannot conclude anything yet about your Flash Board, not from the information you have provided.

First, report the status of your Flash Board and its current Waveform List.
Press [FILE]
Press [F6] FLASH
Use [SF1] FORMAT to view the size and amount of memory used
Use [SF2] DELETE to view items installed on your particular Flash Board (Waveform List)
Use [SF3] OPTIMIZE to delete duplicates if you've been installing libraries multiple times.

Also did you make an ALL data file that serves as a backup of the data you installed to your Flash Board?
Use that file, and that file only to restore VOICES to your internal USER Voice banks.

Posted : 30/09/2015 8:04 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us