Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Connecting MOXF6 to PSR-S670

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I own a MOXF6, and I would like to connect it to a PSR-S670 to copy some of its styles as arpeggios. The idea is to copy each track of a PSR style into a track on the MOXF6 sequencer, and then there is a function to go from there to Arpeggio (to make song programming easier). I've done it already with a QY100. But how can I connect the PSR-S670 if it does not have MIDI in/out connectors? [Note: I want to go machine-to-machine (PSR-S670 to MOXF6), NOT through a PC] More specifically, the problem is how to connect USB B-type (squared to HOST connector on the PSR) to MIDI on the MOXF, when most cables are USB A-type (rectangular) to MIDI.

Would this type of connector be sufficient? [USB B-type male to USB A-type female]

[plus USB A-type to MIDI cable]

Posted : 09/03/2016 5:40 am
Topic starter

Alternatively, is it possible to connect these devices via a USB hub?
PSR-S670 - USB B-type male to A-type male cable -|
MOXF6 - USB B-type male to A-type male cable -|- USB hub

I appreciate any ideas.

Posted : 09/03/2016 6:57 am
Bad Mister

What you are attempting is not going to work with cables, adapters, or a hub. The USB ports of the products can be connected through a computer. They cannot speak to each other via USB alone directly. The PSR-S670 has USB "To Device" for storage and "To Host" for connection to computers... It does not feature additionally the standard 5-pin MIDI connectors.

If you want to export MIDI data from the PSR-S670 without using a computer connection, you will need to record the PSR -S670 to its own MIDI Song Recorder, then export it as a Standard MIDI File (.mid) to a USB stick and 'shuttle' the file over to your MOXF. The MOXF can load the .mid to a Song or to a Pattern where you can select and assign instruments to each part.

Do not spend any money on cables or adapters. Another tip would be, the MOXF has over 7900 arpeggio phrases. Many of these phrases are derived from the same source data found in the Arranger "Styles"... Obviously the Arrangers cover a wider variety of musical genres (a veritable cornucopia of musical styles), while the phrases that have been converted to Arpeggio phrases have been specifically selected for the target synthesizer markets.

So you may wind up duplicating phrases already in the MOXF arpeggio library. Also you will run into voice mapping issues. Certain Style Phrases use specific MegaVoices, and are composed of multiple tracks of data assembled as a specific phrase. Arpeggios that are use a specific transposition rule for their chord intelligent may not survive the transfer.

Recommendation: unless you have a specific group of phrases or a specific genre that is not represented in the MOXF library, please explore what is already on offer in the MOXF - it will be a lot of effort to transfer, then successfully convert them one-by-one to MOXF arpeggios. Not trying to discourage you, just letting you know what you're in for...

Posted : 09/03/2016 3:17 pm
Topic starter

Thank you, Bad Mister, for your ideas. 🙂

I found that most of the MOXF6's 7900 arpeggios cater for rock/jazz/blues/hip-hop/trance and such styles, with beautiful, very convincing, sounds.

But I am more interested in the Latin styles such as bolero, chacha, rumba, mambo, tango, vals, cumbia, etc, of which the MOXF has nothing. I acknowledge the MOXF includes arpeggios for samba, bossa, 6/8 afro-cuban, wawanco, salsa, which I find useful, but not enough ... I also want to do choro/chorinho, cueca, chamame, pasillo, porro, vallenato. I understand, it's impossible to cover them all, so half of the world's musicians will always remain unsatisfied.

The PSR-S670 covers most of these styles, but it is sort-of a closed box (lacking midi ports), and its sequencer is not as sophisticated as the MOXF's. Surprisingly, the PSR-S970 (which is more robust and includes midi ports) lacks most of the impressive Brazilian styles that are present in the PSR-S670.

I already copied beguine and chacha styles from a QY100 as MOXF arpeggios. The bass and percussion tracks work as expected. The chords have trouble recognizing fingered inversions, but somehow may be used (I'll try again later recording as "Normal" instead of "Org" Arp type). When copying the rumba style, MOXF complained that the piano intro phrase has too many notes. So I had to simplify it and to limit it to 16 different notes per arpeggio.

It may sound like too much trouble to go through this, but I think it is worth the effort. Once I have the basic Latin-style arpeggios, it becomes easier to put together song arrangements.

I'll try your suggested USB file exchange approach.

I'm also aware of the libraries offered at Motifator, such as:

Twiddly.Bits Latin Spice
Twiddly.Bits Colombian Beats

I welcome any additional suggestions.

Posted : 09/03/2016 9:12 pm
Bad Mister

I just wanted you to know what you are getting into... yes, it is worth the effort if that is what you are looking for, absolutely.

Posted : 09/03/2016 9:50 pm

Hi Diego

How did you get on with this project of yours? I too am really interested in having more latin-style arps, too, like in the arranger keyboards.

Or, what would be wonderful, would be if someone clever wrote a program to convert all the freely available style files for the Yamaha arrangers into MOXF arp files 🙂

David.

Posted : 31/12/2017 10:37 pm

U can use Hairless midi serial.Connect both your machines to your PC via usb.With the help of hairless midi serial assign the midi in machine and midi out machine.And you can access the machines like you need.You can download hairless midi serial for both pc and mac.

Posted : 06/01/2020 6:19 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us