Hi - Sometime soon, I'll be purchasing a Montage, which will take the place of the Motif XS6 that I now use with Cubase. In this post, I'll give you my current rig, describe my present workflow, and then I will sincerely appreciate answers to my questions about the transition to Montage.
The Current Radd rig:
Windows 10 (automatically updates)
Cubase Pro 9.5.21 (64bit)
Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver V1.6.6
Firmware Version IEEE1394 V1.07
Motif XS VST Editor V 1.6.4
Motif XS6 connected to my PC via Firewire
Motif XS Extension V1.6.1 for Windows.
Future rig: Montage connected to same computer
I'm a full-time producer of jingles for radio/TV, and make extensive use of the many features of this arrangement, including:
Remote and other "physical" control of Cubase
Four pre-set audio groups (Bass/Keys/Drums/Guitar) of sounds going to preset group
channels in Cubase
In each project, I rely heavily on Motif arpeggios which I record to MIDI tracks, then
manipulated/edit/assign there. This is especially true of drums - - almost all of my drum
tracks have begun as Motif arpeggios. (and they're awesome!!)
I do not typically "render" or record MIDI tracks to audio - - everything stays as a MIDI track, right up to final mixdown. (this is my preference - -with jingles, we have to make many sudden changes/edits to things for a variety of reasons, and keeping things as MIDI tracks makes this more easy for me).
Regarding my transition:
I own 2 Cubase licenses, so I'll be able to become fluent in "Montage" with a separate laptop, so this won't interupt my daily work or deadlines.
Here are my questions:
1. Even though there isn't a VST Editor for Montage, it seems from the videos I can achieve the same process with Montage Connect, yes?
2. In the Cubase/Montage videos I've seen, you all record your sequenced Montage tracks as audio tracks into Cubase. I would prefer keeping them as MIDI tracks in Cubase, BUT with the ability to send those sounds into separate Cubase Group Channel tracks. Can I?
3. Can you give me a quick "sales pitch" on the ability to control Cubase (remote - - controlers - - Quick Controls - - etc) with Montage, or at least refer me to a video I haven't found?
4. Will projects, with mixers settings / patches - -all of that, save and load up as easily as they do on my current rig?
5. Can the Montage, via USB, deliver the same amount of audio + MIDI tracks as my current setup?
6. Anything else I should know?
I really appreciate it! Pete Radd