I've had a Montage 8 since it came out in 2016. I just bought a MODX 8 today. I love my Montage, but after today it's staying in my home studio and I don't have to move that 65 lb. beast to gigs. Anyway, I haven't spent a lot of time with the MODX yet, but I have a few initial impressions and I want to know if others have seen these things and what they think of it.
1. I like how the UI on the MODX shows you a pop-up with adjustments as you turn the knob. I like big and easy to read numbers. Will the Montage get this feature?
2. I like how the UI on the MODX has a fader-tracker so you can see where the fader is relative to the part you're fading. It makes it easier to 'hook' your part's volume and adjust it. Like #1 -- will the Montage get an update with this feature?
3. Is it me, or is the touch screen on the MODX more responsive? I feel like the MODX might have an updated or superior touch screen.
4. I like how the buttons on the MODX aren't as 'clicky' as the ones on my Montage. They're just slightly easier to press. This is a matter of taste I'm sure.
5. The MODX keybed feels great to me. They're equivalent in my opinion.
6. There are definitely some controls that I will miss on the MODX. I like the pitch and mod wheels better on my Montage. I also like having all 8 faders and scene buttons on the Montage. I also like having all the mutli-purpose buttons on the right side of the Montage. These past two years I've taught myself to use them in gigs and it's great for making fast changes between performances, and especially between Live Set pages.
7. I like the "Rhythm" button on the MODX. The Montage could use a button like that.
8. I haven't encountered a limitation in the less voices on the MODX yet. I suppose I will eventually.
So I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts about a comparison between the two.
In particular: will the Montage receive an update to give it some of the UI benefits of the MODX?